New Mexico Geological Society Annual Spring Meeting & Ft. Stanton Cave Conference — Abstracts
The First Report of planolites in the Mojado Formation, Cerro De Cristo Rey, Sunland Park, New Mexico
Oskar N/A Alvarez1 and Eric J. Kappus2
Current fieldwork in the lowermost Albian-Cenomanian Mojado Formation (Sarten member) has produced several new invertebrate trace fossil discoveries. Reported here is the third documented occurrence of Planolites isp. in the Washita Group at Cerro de Cristo Rey Sunland Park, New Mexico, and the first record of this trace in the Mojado Formation. Planolites is a simple, sub-horizontal, cylindrical trace with fill that is different than the host rock. It is interpreted as a domichnia (dwelling trace) or fodichnia (feeding trace) with several possible tracemakers. It is preserved in most environmental settings including marine and continental, from the Ediacaran to Recent. At this locality this trace is associated with Arthrophycus, Thalassinoides, and Curvolithus, so we tentatively assign this ichnoassemblage to the Cruziana ichnofacies. Although ichnoassemblages attributed to the Cruziana ichnofacies have been described a few meters below in the Mesilla Valley Formation, these differ from the low-diversity ichnoassemblage in the Mojado Formation. This change in ichnoassemblage may in the future be used to define the lower contact of the Mojado Formationat Cristo Rey.
Keywords: invertebrate ichnology, trace fossils, Cerro de Cristo Rey, Mojado formation, Planolites, Cruziana ichnofacies
- Keighley, D.G. and Pickerill, R.K., 1995. Commentary: the ichnotaxa Palaeophycus and Planolites: historical perspectives and recommendations.
- Lucas, S.G.,Krainer, K.,Spielmann, J.A. andDurney, K., 2010. Cretaceous stratigraphy, paleontology, petrography, depositional environments, and cycle stratigraphy at Cerro de Cristo Rey, Doña Ana County, NM. New Mexico Geology, 32(4), pp.103-130
- Núñez-Useche, F.,Barragán, R., Moreno-Bedmar, J.A. andCanet, C., 2014. Mexican archives for the major Cretaceous oceanic anoxic events. Boletínde la Sociedad Geológica Mexicana, 66(3), pp.491-505.
- Pemberton, S.G. and Frey, R.W., 1982. Trace fossil nomenclature and the Planolites-Palaeophycus dilemma. Journal of Paleontology, pp.843-881.
- Riahi, S. and Uthman, A., 2022. Ichnology of Lower Cretaceousprodeltaand delta front deposits of the Sidi Khalif Formation, Central Tunisia. Facies, 68(1), pp.1-28.
invertebrate ichnology, trace fossils, Cerro de Cristo Rey, Mojado formation, Planolites, Cruziana ichnofacies
2022 New Mexico Geological Society Annual Spring Meeting & Ft. Stanton Cave Conference
April 7-9, 2022, Macey Center, Socorro, NM
Online ISSN: 2834-5800